Aug 24, 2021
The Biden Administration has committed to strengthening every federal agency’s Environmental Justice (EJ) mission. With this commitment comes changes to EJ requirements at the federal level. On a parallel course, states are also tackling EJ through legislation, actions and policies. This evolving EJ landscape will bring new challenges and opportunities to the business sector for both new and existing infrastructure and facilities.
This webinar will provide attendees with an introduction to the context of state and federal programs, permitting and reviews, as well as provide recommendations on ways to approach EJ for future projects.
Topics Will Include:
- President Biden’s Executive Order 14008 and the Justice40 initiative
- Examples of state-state EJ laws and policies
- Recent legal challenges to state-issued air permits
- Basics of identifying potential EJ communities, including discussion of the geographic scope, minority populations, low-income populations, and limited English proficiency populations
- EPA’s EJSCREEN tool
- Public engagement strategies
- Project/facility benefits and community enhancements
- Diane Reilly, Senior Economist
- Rachel Velthuisen, Senior Air Quality Project Manager
- Kate Murphy, Senior Project Manager