Utility Vegetation Management
For over 50 years, TRC has been a trusted advisor to the utility industry. Our Vegetation Management team delivers unprecedented results, maximizing operational efficiencies, streamlining processes and empowering utilities to continue providing safe, resilient, reliable power to the communities they serve.
With an in-house team of program and project managers, arborists, engineers, foresters, land agents, environmental biologists and digital experts, we work seamlessly to analyze and execute solutions across full vegetation management lifecycles. Understanding the continuously evolving vegetation management regulatory and operational demands of planning, implementation, program and project management, permitting, auditing, compliance requirements, as well as environmental, biological and cultural monitoring is where our team excels.
From risk-based modeling, engineering standards reviews and workflow analysis, to highly technical vegetation visualization and “boots on the ground” program management and implementation, TRC delivers sustainable vegetation management solutions. Our team guides utilities in strategic development and implementation of work practices and actualizing efficiency actions which aide in optimization of their vegetation management programs while improving grid resiliency.
As the impacts of climate change intensify, trees and other vegetation are under threat from extreme weather, droughts, wildfire and disease. Overgrown or weakened limbs and branches falling into distribution circuits is one of the largest contributors to electric power interruptions, and in some cases the cause of extreme harm to people, property and communities.
According to US Forest Service, since 2010 an estimated 129 million trees have died in California’s national forests due to conditions caused by climate change, unprecedented drought, bark beetle and high tree densities. There are a concerningly high number of hazard trees in and around communities and along roads, trails and power lines,
Coinciding data from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) indicates that tree contact with transmission lines is the leading cause of electric power outages and a common cause of past regional blackouts in the Northeast United States and Canada. Utilities are now required to address transmission vegetation management covering tree trimming on rights of way according to FERC reliability standard FAC-003-4.
Utility Vegetation Management Services
Strategically optimize your vegetation management investment to improve power system safety, reliability and resiliency. We offer utility vegetation management services to regulated and non-regulated organizations including utilities, electric cooperatives, natural gas pipeline operators and renewable energy developers.
Assessment and Planning
Our vegetation management, environmental, technical and climate experts help you analyze your programs and determine priorities to improve performance and efficiency.
- Risk, Reliability & Safety Assessment
- Business Case Modeling
- Optimization & Sustainable Operations
- Regulatory & Testimony Support
- Grant Writing & Contracting
- Quality Management
- Program Development & Delivery
Digital Technology and Solutions
TRC understands the digital marketplace and helps you strategically integrate and deploy new technology to solve data capture and reporting requirements and implement risk and reliability modeling.
- Predictive Modeling
- Production Forecasting
- Data Capture & System Mapping
- Geo-Spatial & Data Analytics
- Process Modeling & Optimization
Our deep bench of field experts supplement your team and execute critical work. We use dashboards to track the productivity of our crews so we can monitor and adjust as needed to meet your milestones and deadlines.
- Contractor Readiness Assessments
- Construction Management
- Work Verification
- Field Data Collection
- Equipment/Technology Assessments
- Program/Project Management
- Registered Forester & Certified Arborist
- Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan Compliance
Permitting and Licensing
We help you survey and collect the data needed to secure the permits required to perform enhanced vegetation management. Our experts across the U.S. have experience siting and permitting pipelines, transmission lines, distribution rights of way and road crossings.
- Desktop Reviews & Field Verification
- Local, State & Federal Permitting
- Historical & Cultural Resource Studies
- Compliance Monitoring & Reporting
- Natural Resources, Wildlife, Threatened & Endangered Species, Vegetation, Wetlands & Stormwater Studies
- Surveying Services
Land Services and Communications
Our land agents understand all the changing industry requirements and standards and recognize the importance of consistent and concise communication.
- Public Outreach/Agency Coordination
- Records Research & Title Work
- Survey Permission & Permit Crossings
- Due Diligence & Construction Support
- Right of Way/Work-Space Acquisition
- Damage Settlement & Reclamation
Emergency Response and Storm Services
We take pride in being a trusted advisor helping you develop and execute your emergency response plans. We have the expertise and experience to support you when natural disasters strike- from an environmental, infrastructure and logistical perspective, we are here to help.
- Storm Response/Emergency Communication & Coordination
- Contractor Readiness & Assessments
- Field Data Collection/Work Verification
- Registered Forester/Certified Arborist Monitoring
- Disaster Grant Reimbursement Documentation
- Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan Compliance & Reporting
- Wood/Debris Management
Looking for effective solutions to your problems?
Turn to the experts at TRC.