AVANGRID Distribution Automation Program
Modernizing circuits to improve resiliency, increase network optimization and enhance the integration of distributed energy resources.
TRC is a trusted advisor supporting AVANGRID’s efforts to automate their distribution system in New York. By modernizing reclosers, sectionalizers, SCADA switches, voltage regulators and capacitor banks, AVANGRID is increasing the speed and accuracy of its distribution network and positively impacting internal processes and customer service through:
- Improved grid resilience
- More efficient use of line crew and truck rolls
- Increased network optimization
- Improved grid integration of distributed energy resources
TRC is leading device evaluation, automation and communications, standards development, database management, programming and commissioning for the system-wide project. Our programmatic approach includes:
- Protection and automation design
- Equipment and device standardization
- Development of controller templates, equipment specifications and construction standards
- Process elaboration and optimization
- Monitoring and optimizing program deployment and device performance
Results and Benefits
Since the program began, TRC has helped place automated devices in service. Working with AVANGRID our team:
- Configured centralized and decentralized automation restoration schemes
- Improved remote operation
- Increased device automation on the distribution network
By 2030, AVANGRID expects to have more than 13,000 automated devices in place.
Looking for effective solutions to your problems?
Turn to the experts at TRC.