NERC has released a report documenting its findings and recommendations related to reliability risks from utility scale solar generation projects. It has implications for PRC-024 compliance and generation, interconnection and protection system technologies.
TRC’s latest Regulatory Update on this topic reviews:
- Background of the Blue Cut wildfire tripping event
- Key findings from NERC’s analysis of the event and the operating characteristics of impacted equipment
- Impacts and potential revisions to Standard PRC-024
- Role of the newly created NERC Solar Resource Performance Task Force
- Next steps for ensuring reliability and NERC compliance
The newly identified operating characteristic of utility scale PV installations will require proper planning, re-design, and coordination going forward to prevent risk and remain in compliance.
NERC plans to produce lessons learned and technical reference guidance from the information gathered through analysis of this event.
For more information, please download our Regulatory Update.